Founded in 2007, Tumblr is a quickly growing blogging service that attracts over 72 million visitors a month. What makes it so incredibly addictive is that anyone can get their site up and running in no time, posting on a myriad of topics that they feel most passionate about. With tools to make sharing easy, Tumblr posts can quickly spread throughout the web. For artists, designers and photographers, Tumblr can be an excellent source of inspiration. Collected here are ten Tumblr blogs that, we feel, are the best at curating creative content.
1. This Isn't Happiness Ranked as one of the Top 100 Blogs on the Internet, according to Technorati, This Isn't Happinessis a darling amongst the art and culture crowd. This Tumblr was also called BoingBoing's favorite tumblelog and The Huffington Post said it's "a Tumblr you need to follow." Why all the love? This Isn't Happiness will consistently surprise you with its wide range of posts which include everything from relevant, of-the-moment photography to interesting gifs and inspirational quotes. For the art enthusiast or for those who just love to stumble upon creative works, this is one site you'll want to check out.
2. We and the Color if you get inspired by more than just art, and have a passion for graphic design, illustration, photography, or fashion, check out We and the Color. This Tumblr blog is always chock-full of inspiring imagery, particularly illustration related. Similar to many of the popular art and design Tumblr blogs, this site was founded in 2010 by an actual graphic designer and illustrator, Dirk Petzold. Follow this Tumblr to see some of the freshest work in graphic design.
3. Inspire Me Now User experience designer Szymon Błaszczyk created Inspire Me Now in 2007. Calling it a "tumblelog with all that makes me think," this site aims to show you things outside-the-box from offbeat art to clever packaging. Inspire Me Now finds beauty in the strange and extraordinary, like in a polygon double deer headed sculpture or skulls made out of fruit. Come here if you enjoy seeing ideas and experiences that are thought-provoking or extraordinary.
4. Design:Related Gallery Design:Related itself is a community website, started back in 2006, that brings together creative people so that they can share their work with others. Its Tumblr blog, Design:Related Galleryfeatures inspirational projects from those that are in the Design:Related community. If you love typography, anything related to Apple, or find designs on book covers fascinating, then check out this site. In addition, don't forget to stop by Redesign:Related which is their other Tumblr blog that's all about remixes and redesigns.
5. I Heart My Art With a focus on art, culture and music, I Heart My Art is a wonderful Tumblr blog with consistently inspiring posts. Blair Prentice, a Canadian artist and graphic designer who currently lives in New York City, said in recent interview that he started this site as "a repository, museum and archive of[ [his] art discoveries. It is more of a forum to celebrate the incredible bounty of art that lays in wait to be exposed and appreciated." With almost 2,000 posts, I Heart My Art has a deep archive of contemporary art, vintage photography and creative videos. Follow this Tumblr if you believe that art should be a part of your daily life.
6. Beautiful Type What do you get when you put two web designers together who share the same passion for typography? An inspiring Tumblr blog called Beautiful Type. Curators Francis Chouqet, from Switzerland, and Aurélien Foutoyet, from France, started this site in 2010 and it's where they collect incredible illustrations and inspiring videos all related to typography. On their site, you'll even find a page where they've even hand-selected some books that deal with design and typography.
7. Photo Jojo Though Photojojo is known as a store that sells gifts and gear for the modern photographer, they also run a Tumblr blog where they show interesting photography related projects and more. Not only can you keep up with all of their contests and giveaways, you'll also find some creative ideas on how to really stretch your imagination. Make sure to check out their helpful tips, tutorials, and project ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
8. Laughing Squid As winner of the People's Voice Award for the Best Cultural Blog, Laughing Squid is a must-visit for your daily dose of art, technology and culture. Outside of their popular blog, they also run a Tumblr called Laughing Squid Links where they post items not only from Laughing Squid but also from other interesting places from all around the web. By being on the cusp of the latest, breaking news, Laughing Squid will make you feel like you're always in the know. Plus, you can count on them to throw in a lot of humorous bits of pop culture.
9. Startup Quote If short, meaningful quotes are your cup of tea, then you must check out Startup Quote. Founded in 2010, this site promises to give you your daily dose of inspiration from startup founders and entrepreneurs. Expect to find some wise words by everyone from Henry Ford and Steve Jobs to Jack Dorsey, Co-Founder of Twitter, and Aaron Patzer, Founder of Mint. Started by two brothers, Ray and Chris Chan, this site has a simple format - it shows head shots of the world's greatest entrepreneurs and innovators and a speech bubble containing their single quote. Come here to find some wise words from the most successful businesspeople in the world.
10. Pratt (Jeff Rubio) Pratt was founded by Jeff Rubio, an industrial design student at Pratt Institute who has an obvious passion for all things design. (Rubio recently won the the 7th Annual Umbra x Pratt Design Competition for the "Clutch Clip," a stylish clip that resembles a handbag handle that can be placed on the top of paper bags.) Featured as a Tumblr staff pick, Pratt has an endless amount of eye-candy especially for those who enjoy modern or minimalist design. Check out Pratt if you're looking to redesign your house with some fantastic furniture and some funky finds.