Genetically Modified Food.
What are Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO Foods?
Scientists have been and are currently introducing genetic material into organisms to alter, create and affect changes in living plants and animals. These radical changes scientists are developing create specific, desirable traits that might never evolve naturally and in my opinion are extremely dangerous.
Collectively called recombinant DNA technology, this practice changes the core genetic make-up of organisms. This genetic manipulation gives scientists the ability to create any trait that they wish, or suppress natural traits they don't want. There are several reasons this unnatural genetic manipulation may affect you.
1. It's usually not clear which consumables have been genetically manipulated.
2. You don't know the long term health effects of these genetically modified foods. Initial research has shown that short-term reactions can be severe.
3. Agro-chemical companies and the government are planning to charge farmers fees to grow their GMO crops, thereby negatively affecting the economy and environment.
Cultivated Genetically Modified Foods
From bacteria (E. coli) and fungus, fruits and vegetables to animals, genetic manipulation is becoming more and more common in our society. In the US market now, 60-70% of the processed foods are genetically modified. In 2006, United States GMO crops reached just shy of 135 million acres, with the total global area exceeding 250 million acres!
This is a short list of the genetically modified food crops that are grown in the US today:
Corn, Soy bean, Sugar cane, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Sweet peppers, Bananas, Strawberries, Zucchini,Pineapples, Cocoa beans,Yellow squash.
And each week more are being created at an alarming rate!
Processed Consumer Goods Made With GMO Ingredients
The bio-chemical industry is fiercely going after two crops, corn and soy, because of their high demand for use throughout our processed goods and biofuel industries.
For companies to increase and control the yield of these crops, it would mean controlling a large part of the processed goods and biofuels markets. It would also mean considerable profit as they can patent these crops
and technically OWN THEM!
For now, you won't see GMO on the labels of foods in the US. Currently, producers are not required to tell you, because, believe it or not, the Federal government has declared it's their choice to determine what is good for you and what foods are safe for your consumption — and we know how far that is gotten us.
Following is a short list of processed foods made with genetically modified organisms:
Popcorn, Canola Oil, Cottonseed Oil,Soy Sauce, Frozen Pizza, Frozen Dinners, Dry Cereal, Baby Formula, Canned Soups, Cookies. Ice Cream, Aspartame Sweetener
The list of GMO products on the market today is long and growing. So, I recommend doing your research because the USDA made the following determination: These products don't need to be labeled with GMO content information unless the product presents the threat of causing allergic reactions in humans. Amazing, huh?
Several sites on the internet today are working hard to track and compile such information regarding these man-made foods. The items above are compiled from several lists including the 2003 food guide from The True Food Network.
The long-term dangers of Genetically Modified Foods are uncertain, but we have already seen severe short-term reactions
In 1989, a Japanese company paid out a $2 billion dollar settlement to several thousand American citizens who became ill from a genetically modified version of L-Tryptophan³. Several dozen Americans died from ingesting L-Tryptophan before it was taken off the market. Today, some health practitioners are returning to non-GMO L-Tryptophan for use in treating sleep disorders.
In 1996, animal tests, conducted after the danger was inflicted on humans, proved that there was a severe danger from genes spliced from Brazil nuts and soybeans. The danger: allergic reactions so severe that the individuals could suffer anaphylactic shock, possibly leading to death.
In 2006, Japan suspended long grain rice imports from the US after tests revealed that the rice contained trace amounts of GMO that were not approved for human consumption. In the US, we still accept variations of the banned genetic modification to the rice.
It all started by the government giving blanket approval to the "Frankenstein" tomato. You see, by 1994, the government made a stunning decision, one that reeks of something foul. They decided that since the Flavr Savr performed "so well in its tests" that its results would stand for any further GMO produce. Because of that, no further testing would be required before presenting it to consumers for consumption.
Shocking Fact About Genetically Modified Foods
The FDA suppressed a report that described lesions being created in the stomachs of mice that had eaten the Flavr Savr®. As a matter of fact, "Seven out of forty rats tested died within two weeks for unstated reasons."
-Are there fees that farmers will have to pay to grow GMO crops?-
Genetically Modified Foods are now being marketed as the crops of the future. You can have everything you want in produce, meat and milk, and they can make it happen. Don't doubt the economic gain that these agro-chemical companies are seeking.
The following two plans are under development by Monsanto of the US, and AstraZeneca of Britain. They fall under the trait-specific technology, called Genetic Use Restriction Technology (T-GURT).
"Technology Protection," is how they sell it. "Terminator" technology makes plants that would produce sterile seeds after one season. This means, farmers have to buy more seeds for the next harvest.
"Traitor" technology is a trait-specific technology that develops traits which would remain dormant in crops. Farmers can choose to activate this trait by spraying their crops with a proprietary chemical compound. This means, they'll have to buy the proprietary compound to treat their crops in order to activate it. There are even biochemical companies requiring farmers to sign agreements to not save any of their seeds for re-planting. This means that instead of using the seeds for the next planting season, they have to get rid of them and buy more seeds.
Why would business and the government do something like this?
The USDA, Monsanto and AstraZeneca, have contrived a way to make money on two fronts: First they make money on gene modification. Second, they make money because farmers have to pay them annually to continue to grow crops. It's apparently dollars and cents all the way, no sense of human protection involved. The USDA is actually in business with Monsanto in owning some of the genetic engineering technology patents.
Did You Know
Did You Know?
Margaret Wertheim, in a 2002 article in LA Weekly, expressed fears that "Quietly and stealthily, our fields are being turned into industrial factories. This is potentially the most dangerous technology since nuclear power, yet we have no way of finding out what is being done."
How Are GMO Foods Toxic?
Genetically modified foods affect the human physiology. A study of people in the Philippines reported that their bodies developed antibodies to Bt toxin. What this means is that, the human body processed these engineered traits into their guts and reacted to them. These same consumers of the GMO corn in the Philippines also developed a resistance to the antibiotic ampicillin.
This antibiotic resistance is something that science hadn't foreseen-which is indicative of questionable experimentation and not enough testing. And it makes me wonder if there is a bigger picture at hand. Maybe to create more illness and sell you more pharmaceuticals?
How to Eliminate Toxins from Genetically Modified Foods
* Whenever possible, eat all natural foods. Shop at your local farmers market for fresh foods which supports your local economy.
* Use only organically grown fruit and vegetables. Organic crops are grown using no genetic modification or toxic pesticides and herbicides.
* Your zucchini and yellow squash may be genetically modified too. Use only locally grown or organic produce.
* Be careful to eat only organic varieties of popcorn and corn. They are very often genetically modified.
* Start your own organic garden. Growing your own fruit and vegetables is one of the best things you can do for your family. Be sure your location is not in close proximity to plants, industry or bioengineered farms.
* When you're shopping for meat and dairy products, be sure to look for the hormone and antibiotic-free, organic, range fed information on the label.
* Avoid canola oil and cottonseed oil. Use instead, organic sources of grape seed oil, virgin coconut oil, hempseed oil and olive oil which are available at organic and whole foods markets.
* Check your condiments for organic labels. You can find organic fermented sources for soy like natto (fermented soybeans), tempeh, miso, tamari, and tofu.
* Aspartame is genetically modified and is very toxic, it's best to avoid all products that contain this substance.
* Take action. Write your council members and grocery executives. Let them know that you want fresh foods in your stores. Ask them to stock organic and no GMO foods.
* Visit http://truefoodnow.org/shoppers-guide/ for the extensive list of foods and brand names that contain GMOs.
Genetically Modified Foods: Why You Should Avoid Them
Is the UK conducting secret crop trials using Genetically Modified Foods?
More science needed on effects of genetically modifying food crops
'If you control oil, you control nations. If you control food, you control people.'
Are you sure you want to block this user?
¿Seguro deseas procesar este post?