1. Terri Gurrola is reunited with her daughter after serving in Iraq for 7 months.
2. Robert Peraza pauses at his son’s name on the 9/11 Memorial during the tenth anniversary ceremonies at the site of the World Trade Center.
3. Jewish prisoners at the moment of their liberation from an internment camp “death train” near the Elbe in 1945.
4. Harold Whittles hears for the first time ever after a doctor places an earpiece in his left ear.
5. Navy chaplain Luis Padillo gives last rites to a soldier wounded by sniper fire during a revolt in Venezuela. (Héctor Rondón Lovera)
6. Sisters pose for the same photo three separate times, years apart.
7. A Sudan People’s Liberation Army soldier stands at attention on the eve of South Sudan’s independence from Sudan.
8. Another, recently unearthed photo of the Tank Man incident, which shows a new angle of his act of protest, now at a distance. Tank Man can be seen through the trees on the left, and the tanks can be seen on the far right.
9. Greg Cook hugs his dog Coco after finding her inside his destroyed home in Alabama following the Tornado in March, 2012.
10. Jacqueline Kennedy wears her pink Chanel suit, still stained with the blood of her husband, as Lyndon Johnson takes the oath of office in Air Force One.
According to Lady Bird Johnson, who was also present:
“Her hair [was] falling in her face but [she was] very composed … I looked at her. Mrs. Kennedy’s dress was stained with blood. One leg was almost entirely covered with it and her right glove was caked, it was caked with blood – her husband’s blood. Somehow that was one of the most poignant sights – that immaculate woman, exquisitely dressed, and caked in blood.”
11. A mother comforts her son in Concord, Alabama, near his house which was completely destroyed by a tornado in April of 2011.
12. Eight-year-old Christian Golczynski accepts the flag for his father, Marine Staff Sgt. Marc Golczynski, during a memorial service. Marc Golczynski was shot on patrol during his second tour in Iraq (which he had volunteered for) just a few weeks before he was due to return home.
13. Christians protect Muslims during prayer in the midst of the uprisings in Cairo, Egypt, in 2011.
14. A German World War II prisoner, released by the Soviet Union, is reunited with his daughter. The child had not seen her father since she was one year old.
15. PoW Horace Greasley defiantly confronts Heinrich Himmler during an inspection of the camp he was confined in. Greasley also famously escaped from the camp and snuck back in more than 200 times to meet in secret with a local German girl he had fallen in love with.
16. Tanisha Blevin, 5, holds the hand of fellow Hurricane Katrina victim Nita LaGarde, 105, as they are evacuated from the convention center in New Orleans.
17. Pele and British captain Bobby Moore trade jerseys in 1970 as a sign of mutual respect during a World Cup that had been marred by racism.
18. A dog named “Leao” sits for a second consecutive day at the grave of her owner, who died in the disastrous landslides near Rio de Janiero on January 15, 2011.
19. A man cries as he flips through a family album he found in the rubble of his old house following an earthquake in Sichuan.
Sources of Information
The post is made up of the author's original content, or is a compliation of material from various places.