Angry Birds already has 250 million plus downloads in the world but out of those millions of Angry Birds gamers only a few knows about the history and many cool facts about Rovio Mobile and its best selling video game they made. This time we have compiled tons of information about one of the most exciting games of the 20th century, Angry Birds.
Rovio was established in year 2003 and its name back then was Relude. It was 2 years after the inception that they changed it into a household name which most of us recognize – Rovio. It was Kim Dikert, Niklas Hed (now COO), and Jarno Väkeväinen who founded the so-called Relude. The three were students before; they joined a game development tourney which was sponsored by Nokia and HP. They emerged victorious by creating a real time multiplayer game called “King of the Cabbage World”.
The game “King of the Cabbage World” was the engine starter for the three and the thing that pushed them to create a small company which was named Relude.
One of the company’s essential needs is funds. It is a prerequisite and life of any business for it to run. That’s why the trio sold their first creation to Sumea (current name Digital Chocolate) to gain funds for the operation of the Relude. The King of the Cabbage World name was changed to Mole War which later turns out into the first ever commercial real-time multiplayer mobile game.
In early 2005, Relude became a beneficiary of a small investment and then later, they modified the company name to Rovio Mobile.
Rovio Mobile Investors List
Niklas Zennstrom – Angel Investor Felicis Ventures – Super Angel Atomico Ventures – Venture Capital Accel Partners – Venture Capital
Famous Rovio Mobile Management Team
CEO – Mikael Hed COO – Niklas Hed CMO – Peter Vesterbacka aka “Mighty Eagle” VP of Franchise Development – Ville Heijari
Angry Birds History
The development of Angry Birds was started in March 2009. After the successful creation of the development team of Rovio, they released the game in December 2009 and the next is history. Angry Birds became the number one game app in Finland. It took US and UK by storm where Apple’s participation was the key to make it all happen.
As of now, Angry Birds continues it platform invasion. It is currently available in 11 platforms and plans to enter the number one social networking site facebook. Rovio also wants to become an iconic entertainment brand like Disney and has already taken actions to promote Angry Birds in Asia.
List of Angry Birds Platforms
iOs Android Maemo/MeeGo Palm webOS Symbian^3 Mac OsX Wii U Windows Windows Phone 7 Nintendo 3DS PSP WebGL
Other Angry Birds Versions
Angry Birds Rio Angry Birds Seasons Angry Birds Magic
Angry Birds Awards and Distinctions
15th Webby Awards – Won, Best Mobile Game and People’s Voice Award
UK Appy Awards – Won, Best Game App and App of the Year for 2011
IGN (Imagine Games Network) – Won, Fourth Best iPhone Game of all Time
6th annual International Mobile Gaming Awards – Nominated, Best Casual Game Award
Rovio Mobile has developed more than 50 video games with relatively little success. They finally hit the jackpot when they released Angry Birds game in December 2009. According to Rovio CEO Mikael Hed, it went to number one in Finland pretty much overnight. And as the saying goes, “The rest is history!”
The development of the Angry Birds game started in March 2009. The idea of birds playing the main character came from Jaakko Lisalo, Games Developer and Lead Designer in Rovio Mobile. His first concept of the game did not include a slingshot. This brought confusion to testers who first tried to play this game. It seems like we could’ve been enjoying flying birds right now if only those game testers had figured out how to play the trial version of Angry Birds. Lisalo thought that slingshots would best explain how to play this game since everyone is already familiar with it.
Rovio Mobile wanted a game that is easy to pick-up and play, but hard to master. This is exactly how anyone will describe Angry Birds game. Niklas Hed, Rovio Mobile COO and Co-founder, shared a story that made him believe that Angry Birds will be a big hit. He showed the game to his mother on a dinner party who never played any video game before. The dinner party was actually delayed as Niklas’ mother couldn’t stop playing the game. Rovio should award Mrs. Hed as the very first fan of Angry Birds.
Angry Birds has now been downloaded more than 300 million times. This seems like a natural occurrence for the company who habitually breaks mobile gaming records. With Rovio’s partnership with Madhouse, a major advertising network in China, their next goal is to hit 100 million downloads by the end of the year in that country alone.
1. Red Bird – The most common bird and the most popular in Angry Birds. It can easily break through glass material and can shatter long and slim wooden material. This one normally just fly and hit. That’s it, no special something about this bird.
Strength – Normal Size – Normal Cuteness – Above Average
2. Blue Bird – Small but definitely awesome this one is also known as the Replicate Bird. Once you launch it on the sling shot, click again to scatter shot just like a shotgun. We used it to break blocks of glass or to push some materials to our advantage.
Strength – Normal Size – Small Cuteness – Normal
3. Yellow Bird – Our favorite, because of its lightning dash and absolute cuteness. It can pierce through on wood blocks with ease but with a slight weakness on ice. This triangular Bird has a special trait also known as speed booster.
Special Ability – Dash (tap again on the screen to boost its speed) Strength – Above Average Size – Medium Cuteness – Above Normal
4. Black Bird – One of the strongest birds in this game because this one is fat it tends to destroy things on where it lands and after that, Kaboom! It wreaks havoc to its target point so pigs should be warned when this bird is up.
Special Ability – Anti – Matter Bomb (shattering walls and other materials especially evil pigs) Strength – Strong Size – Big Cuteness – Very cute
5. White Bird – a special type of bird because this one lay down egg on any unlucky target and after that it will burst. They are also known as Pelican Birds and Egg Birds.
Special Ability – Bomber Strength – Strong (it will only become weak if you forgot to tap the screen and lay the egg bomb) Size – Big Cuteness – Very cute
6. Green Bird – Also known as the Boomerang Bird and it looked like a Toucan. It can destroy woods and glass easily but has a hard dealing with rocks. This one can hit hard to reach space or locations because it can swap directions on mid air.
Special Ability – can make curve turns to hit the back of the evil pigs hideout Strength – Normal Size – Medium Cuteness – Cute enough
7. Big Brother Bird – The most powerful bird when it comes to physical strength. It can shatter anything that crosses its way. This one is an absolutely a wrecker and using this one for the first time might give you some chills.
Special Ability – Massive Damage to anything along its way Strength – Very strong Size – Large Cuteness – Very cute
Other Special Birds
1. Mighty Eagle – This one is a hired killer. You must first purchase this in-game app to be able to use in the entire game. This one is the largest and the strongest of them all and can be used on a limited basis. By the way Peter Vesterbacka CEO of Rovio is also known as the Mighty Eagle.
Special Ability – Mass Destruction Strength – Extremely Strong Size – Very big Cuteness – Very Cute
2. Blu – Can be used on Angry Birds Rio Beach Volley update. This one is strong just like the Big Brother Bird.
Strength – Strong Size – Large Cuteness – Very Cute
3. Blu and Jewel Chained Together – These two special birds together can be played at Angry Birds Rio which will appear first in level 4-15. It is the stage where you’ll encounter a boss fight with Nigel the Sulfur Crested Cockatoo.
Special Ability – Creates a special straight dash when tapped Strength – Normal Size – Large Cuteness – Cute enough with a twist of peculiarity
4. Orange Bird – The new birdie in Angry Birds Seasons which made its first appearance in the episode called Ham’o’ween. It also has some cool other names like globe bird and balloon bird.
Special Ability – Body Expansion Blast Technique Strength – Normal Size – Small but becomes unexpectedly BIG when tapped Cuteness – When small, undoubtedly it can be the cutest of all birds in Angry Birds Franchise but the cuteness ceases when it becomes huge.