Nutella Coated Bacon - don't be put off before you try
I haven't posted any recipes for a while but I came across this randomly the other day and thought I'd try it because it was such a strange combination: Sweet and Spicy Nutella-Coated Bacon... and believe it or not, it's YUM (in capital letters for emphasis). It's the perfect balance of spicy, sweet and salty and satisfies all cravings at once. It's going to be the next big thing on the food scene I reckon and you heard it from me first
1 tablespoon light brown sugar 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon ground black pepper Vegetable oil cooking spray 6 thick slices bacon (1/2 to 3/4 pound) 3 tablespoons Nutella Fleur de sel or another coarse salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine brown sugar, chili powder and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange bacon slices on baking sheet, making sure they do not overlap. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on desired doneness, then remove from oven and carefully flip bacon slices. (I like my almost burnt to a crisp and the crispiness works well with the chocolate)
3. Sprinkle each slice liberally with sugar-pepper mixture. Return to oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Cool bacon slices on paper towels until approximately room temperature.
4. When bacon has cooled, place Nutella into a small bowl and microwave on high for approximately 15 to 20 seconds, until softened. Transfer bacon slices to a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet or large plate. Using a silicon brush or icing spatula, lightly spread Nutella onto the top of each bacon slice. Place plate into refrigerator and allow Nutella to harden. Once coating is firm to the touch, sprinkle with fleur de sel and serve.
Here are some good variations on the recipe.
• Reduce the amount of black pepper to 1/2 teaspoon and add 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper to the spice mixture.
• To make a European Elvis sandwich, spread the top of one slice of bread lightly with honey, top with the coated bacon and thin slices of banana, then close with a second slice of bread.
Let me know how it goes
Sources of Information
The post is made up of the author's original content, or is a compliation of material from various places.