Paperclip Template PDF How to use the Template: Print it out with your favorite PDF reader. Be sure not to stretch the document. If you have a ruler, do a reality check to make sure the document didn't get resized when printed. When the paper clip is straightened out, it should be the same length as the grey line in the template. A pair of pliers will make your job a lot easier.
1. Take a jumbo paper clip and straighten it out. Use a fine tip sharpie to mark all the bend points:
2. Bend the 7.25 and 8.25cm points. Let's call this the "V"
3. Next, Bend the 4.25cm point. You need to make the bend perpendicular and angled a bit outwards from the "V" Also notice that the bend is an "acute" angle.
4. Bend the 1.0cm point for the tip.
5. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other side and you're done! Here's a pic of 2 stands from different positions:
I'd like to point out the importance of the bend angles. Acute-angled bends from step 3 give the stand the correct support to prop up your iphone without falling over. The obtuse-angled bend in step 4 needs to stick out far enough so the tips of the paper clip won't rub against your iPhone and scratch it. You can play with the width of the stand and/or the green angles to adjust how much your iPhone tilts.
Here's a video of just the stand without all the jabber