Hey guys so recently my iPhone 4 Home button has been acting up. The phone is a little older than a year old and the hardware is already malfunctioning.
Fortunately, I've found a few methods that can help me fix this issue.
1) Recalibrate the Home button using the Apple Software
* This recalibration is 100% safe to try*
Unlock your iDevice, open an application and press and hold the Lock/Power button until the Turn of your phone slider show’s up.
Release the Lock button and gently press the Home button and hold it pressed for 5-10 seconds until the Springboard shows up.
This should re-calibrate your home button and you should have it working again.
2) Clean out the button externally using rubbing alcohol
70% Rubbing Alcohol used to help clean out the contact in the home button. Would be better to use maybe 90%+, but 70% is ok.
Make sure you DO NOT USE POLISH REMOVER, acetone will wreak havoc on elelctronics and probably your screen. Also just use the clear rubbing alcohol without any other compounds in there (should be 70% isopropy alcohol and 30% water, none of that mintgreen stuff)
1. Dip Finger in rubbing alcohol, so there is a droplet on tip 2. Rub in circular motion around button for 10 seconds 3. Press each side of of button rapidly for 20 seconds 4. Rub in circular motion again for 10 seconds 5. Flip phone on screen, and tap buttom of phone against table a couple of times. All done in a minute so the alcohol evaporates. 6. Start phone up again and enjoy a fresh button!
THIS IS A DIY FIX, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF SOMETHING WHERE TO GO WRONG HERE. But seems to have fixed the issue for me with no problems. Do at your own risk.
3) Disassemble the iPhone and Clean out or replace the button
This last fix is from iFixit. It requires tools, time, patience, and a steady hand. The tutorial on how to take apart your phone is very detailed but make sure you are qualified to do this because it does not look easy. I would only resort to this fix as a last option before I switch to an Android.
Good luck Socialphriends
Sources of Information
The post is made up of the author's original content, or is a compliation of material from various places.